:: Maths Adviser
I am currently a primary mathematics adviser for Norfolk local authority - a position I have held since April 1999. Primarily this role involves raising standards of mathematics at Foundation Stage, Key stage 1 and 2. Achieving this involves a combination of supporting and challenging all staff, including governors within the school environment to secure high quality teaching and learning to focus on increasing achievement and stimulating curriculum provision. A key part of this role involes delivering high quality training to all groups of teaching staff as well as working with subject leaders and senior leadership teams.
As well as the usual subject knowledge and assessment courses and National Strategy inset, here are a few examples of some of the more interesting and unusual training courses I have run :-
- Raising the attainment of girls in mathematics
- Books, films and role play - all in a mathematics lesson!
- Teaching mathematics to able pupils
- Models and images in mathematics
- Mathematics elsewhere!
- Numbers and patterns
- Calculation strategies
- Contexts in mathematics
- Convincing me, convincing you!
- Getting to grips with block...
- How to get the best out of intervention strategies
Examples of other key achievements and responsibilities within my role as mathematics adviser :
- Delivery of a masters level accredited course (MAST)
- Accompanied teachers to observe teaching and learning in Hungary
- Co-wrote ‘The power of the Number Line'
- Liaison with the community - organised events within the Castle Mall Shopping Centre, The Royal Norfolk Show, The Norwich Football Ground, The Sea Life Centre at Great Yarmouth, development of 10 board games in partnership with Sainsbury's, Norwich Castle.